As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Knowable
We can know God personally, but not ever fully know Him since we are finite and He is infinite. The Bible teaches us that He is too great to be fully known.
- Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised, And His greatness is unsearchable (Psalm 145:3)
His understanding is beyond measure, and is so high we cannot attain it. No matter how smart someone may be, they will still fall short.
- Great is our Lord and abundant in strength ; His understanding is infinite (Psalm 147:5)
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it. (Psalm 139:6)
The good news to us is that we can personally know God. We can know about eternal life through knowing Jesus, and the One who sent Jesus to earth.
- “This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” (John 17:3)
- but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises loving kindness, justice and righteousness on earth ; for I delight in these things,” declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 9:24)
We can know about God from Scripture.
- God is Love: The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. (1 John 4:8)
- God is Light: This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5)
- God is Spirit: “God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:24)
- God is Righteous: for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:26)
We have been created for His glory, and we bring glory to God by imitating Him, His likeness, and attributes. God can be known by studying Scripture and through a personal relationship with God the Son, Jesus Christ.