As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Independent
God doesn’t need us or anything in creation, He is perfectly happy and fulfilled in His personal existence. All of creation, however, is and must be dependent on Him.
- “The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not .
- -dwell in temples made with hands ; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things ; (Acts: 17:24-25)
God always was, He was not created or came into being.
- Before the mountains were born Or You gave birth to the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God. (Psalm 90:2)
God cannot be dependent on anyone or anything.
- For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen. (Romans 11:36)
Even though He does not need us, God chooses to give us value & significance. All of creation glorifies God, and bring Him joy. God rejoices over us.
- Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made.” (Isaiah 43:7)
- “The LORD your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy. (Zephaniah 3:17)
Isn’t that awesome to know? That even though God is perfectly happy & independent from us, He chooses to be with us. He chooses to leap for joy, and rejoice over us.