As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Eternal
This is one of those attributes that may be very difficult to understand. As humans we are familiar with death. When the body ceases to be alive. God does not have a body, He does not get old, He will never die. He has no beginning or end.
- Before the mountains were born Or You gave birth to the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God. (Psalm 90:2)
- “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Revelation 1:8)
He existed before creation.
- just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love (Ephesians 1:4)
- to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 25)
God’s view of time is not the same as ours. God sees, and knows all events past, present, and future with equal vividness. He uses time for His own purpose.
- For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it passes by, Or as a watch in the night. (Psalm 90:4)
- But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. (2 Peter 3:8)
This is just one of those attributes that as humans we will never fully understand, but we can choose to accept it by faith. This helps to understand God in relation to ourselves.