As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Omnipresent
He is unlimited to space, is present in every part space, everywhere at the same time.
- “Am I a God who is near,” declares the LORD, “And not a God far off ? 24 “Can a man hide himself in hiding places So I do not see him?” declares the LORD. “Do I not fill the heavens and the earth ?” declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 23:23-24)
There is no where or place that we can go that God is not present in.
- Where can I go from Your Spirit ? Or where can I flee from Your presence ? 8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there ; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. 9 If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 10 Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me (Psalm 139:7-10)
Nothing can contain Him.
- “But will God indeed dwell on the earth ? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You, how much less this house which I have built ! (1Kings 8:27)
God does acts in different ways in different places.
Often He is there to bless: You will make known to me the path of life ; In Your presence is fullness of joy ; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever. (Psalm 16:11)
Other times to punish and manifest justice in hell: I saw the Lord standing beside the altar, and He said, “Smite the capitals so that the thresholds will shake, And break them on the heads of them all ! Then I will slay the rest of them with the sword ; They will not have a fugitive who will flee, Or a refugee who will escape. 2 “Though they dig into Sheol, From there will My hand take them; And though they ascend to heaven, From there will I bring them down. 3 “Though they hide on the summit of Carmel, I will search them out and take them from there ; And though they conceal themselves from My sight on the floor of the sea, From there I will command the serpent and it will bite them. 4 “And though they go into captivity before their enemies, From there I will command the sword that it slay them, And I will set My eyes against them for evil and not for good.” (Amos 9:1-4)
Sometimes He is present to keep the universe existing, and functioning the way He intended it to:
- He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. (Colossians 1:17)
- And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, (Hebrews 1:3)
Be assured that God is present everywhere, and that He see’s everything; the good, the bad, and the ugly. There isn’t anywhere we can go or hide from His presence. For an unrepentant person that can be a frightening thought, but for the one who is in Christ Jesus this is wonderful. That no matter how bad, how dark or uncertain our my life may be, we can be sure that God is present right were we are at.