As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Invisible
Because God is Spirit, God is also invisible. No one will ever be able to see God’s total essence or all of His spiritual being.
- No one has seen God at any time ; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him. (John 1:18)
The Bible does show us some outward manifestations of God.
- Isaiah saw the Lord in a vision: In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. (Isaiah 6:1)
- The Lord appeared to Abraham: Now the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, while he was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day. (Genesis 18:1)
- Jacob saw God face to face: So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved.” (Genesis 32:30)
- The greatest manifestation, God in human form, Jesus: Jesus said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip ? He who has seen Me has seen the Father ; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father ‘? (John 14:9)
We cannot see God, but we can feel His presence. We can see Him working in the lives of people. We can trust by faith that even though we cannot see Him, we believe.
Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed ? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.” (John 20:29)