As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Wise
God’s wisdom is far above any of the wisest men that have ever or will ever live. He chooses the best possible goals and means to meet those goals.
- to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, be the glory forever. Amen. (Romans 16:27)
- “Wise in heart and mighty in strength, Who has defied Him without harm ? (Job 9:4)
- “With Him are wisdom and might ; To Him belong counsel and understanding. (Job 12:13)
God’s wisdom in creation.
- O LORD, how many are Your works ! In wisdom You have made them all ; The earth is full of Your possessions. (Psalm 104:24)
God’s wisdom in the lives of His children.
- And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)
- But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. (James 1:5)
Godly wisdom, the character quality found in a life that is pleasing to Him, is found in reading and obeying God’s Word.
- The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul ; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (Psalm 19:7)
We will never fully share God’s wisdom. Sometimes we understand reasons why something happens, and other times we will not. It is during those times when we lack clarity that we must trust that God is wiser than us.
- Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God ! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways ! (Romans 11:33)
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)
We are blessed to share a small portion of God’s wisdom, and have an even greater blessing in that God is wise beyond our understanding. We can trust the He will always make the best decisions.