As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Good
This is one attribute that many people in the world struggle with. They look the world around them and question how can a God exists or how can God be good? Scriptures tells us clearly that God is good, and we truly are not. God is the final standard of of good, all that He is and does is good, worthy of approval.
- And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good ? No one is good except God alone. (John 18:19)
Examples of His goodness can be seen throughout Scripture.
- God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning–the sixth day. (Genesis 1:31)
He is the ultimate source of goodness.
- Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17)
He bestows gifts on His children. This is confirmed by Jesus:
- For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. (Psalms 84:11)
- If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:11)
And even though it may be difficult to understand, even discipline is a manifestation of His goodness.
- Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. (Hebrews 12:10
God’s goodness can be seen through His mercy, and grace. Mercy to those in misery and distress. Grace to those who only deserve punishment. Those who have received God’s goodness are called to demonstrate goodness to others.
- Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Galatians 6:10)
God is not just good sometimes, and He is not good to some, but evil to others. He is good all of the time to everyone.