As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Love
There exists a special dynamic about love, loving, and God. We see that if anyone does not love, then they cannot know God intimately since God is love. God’s love has existed since before creation, and Scripture shows us that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit had love for each other.
- Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. ( 1 John 4:8)
- “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. (John 17:24)
- but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me. “Come now; let us leave. (John 14:31)
It is that love, not that we loved, but that He loved us, and sent His Son Jesus to pay for our sins. God did this in spite of our sinfulness, and hatred toward Him.
- This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. (1 John 4:10)
- But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ( Romans 5:8)
The greatest commandment, and our responsibility is:
- Jesus replied: ” ‘Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ (Matthew 22:37-39)
Like God’s love, our own love should be self giving. Not something that we just talk about, but actually do in deed and truth.
- This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. (1 John 3:16-18)
I have learned that we cannot give unconditional love without know the Author of love.