As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 2 titled “What is God Like.”
God is Holy
This is one attribute that I believe many people, and even some Christians take lightly. God is separated from sin, and is devoted to seeking His own honor. David called Him the Holy One of Israel.
- Exalt the LORD our God And worship at His holy hill, For holy is the LORD our God. (Psalm 99:9)
- I will also praise You with a harp, Even Your truth, O my God ; To You I will sing praises with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel. (Psalm 71:22)
The Seraphim (winged creatures) around His throne continually cry out, “Holy, Holy, Holy”
- And one called out to another and said, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory.” (Isaiah 6:3)
God’s holiness is what we should imitate. It is through the power of the Holy Spirit that we strive for holiness.
- “Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy. (Leviticus 19:2)
- Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord. ( Hebrews 12:14)
Even God’s discipline is for our good, as His children so that we can share in His holiness.
- For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. (Hebrews 12:10)
Being made holy we look forward to the day when all things will be separated from evil, purified from sin, and devoted solely to God.
- so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing ; but that she would be holy and blameless. (Ephesians 26-27)
- In that day there will be inscribed on the bells of the horses, “HOLY TO THE LORD.” And the cooking pots in the LORD’S house will be like the bowls before the altar. Every cooking pot in Jerusalem and in Judah will be holy to the LORD of hosts ; and all who sacrifice will come and take of them and boil in them. And there will no longer be a Canaanite in the house of the LORD of hosts in that day. (Zechariah 14:20-21)