As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 3 titled “What is the Trinity.”
What is the Trinity? – The Meaning of the Trinity
Each of the person of the Trinity is fully God, and:
- God is not the Son or the Holy Spirit
- The Son is not the Father or the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit is not the Father or the Son
God the Father.
God the Son, Jesus Christ is also fully God.
- 9 For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, (Colossians 2:9)
- 28 Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God !” (John 20:28)
- 31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God ; and that believing you may have life in His name. (John 20:31)
God the Holy Spirit is also fully God.
- 19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, (Matthew 28:19)
- 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land ? 4 “While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control ? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart ? You have not lied to men but to God.” (Acts 5:3-4
- 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. ( 1 Corinthians 2:11)
There is only 1 God and not 3.
- 4 “Hear, O Israel ! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one ! (Deuteronomy 6:4)
- 5 “I am the LORD, and there is no other ; Besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; (Isaiah 45:5)
- 30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one. (Romans 3:30)
- 19 You believe that God is one. You do well ; the demons also believe, and shudder. (James 2:19)
There are 3 distinct persons of the Trinity, each with the whole being of God in Himself, even though there is only one God and He is undivided. The doctrine of the Trinity is something we will never fully understand, for parts of it are beyond our comprehension.
The mystery has to be true.
If Jesus is not fully God, and a separate person from God, then He could not have bore the complete wrath of God, died, and risen from the dead. If Jesus did not rise from the dead any belief in Him is foolish.