As I stated in a previous blog, I am reading Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics every Christian Should know by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. Here of are some of main points of Chapter 5 titled “What is Prayer.”
Reason for Prayer
Prayer is personal communication from us to God. It not only helps us know about God, but also helps us truly know God.
- We can communicate our requests to God.
- Confess our sin to God
- Give adoration, praise and thanksgiving
Prayer does not exist so that God can find out what we need since He already knows . God wants us to pray so that our dependence on Him can be increased. When we come to Him in prayer about something, we express trust in Him, that He will hear, and answer our prayers.
- “So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. (Matthew 6:8)
- “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find ; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 “For everyone who asks, receives ; and he who seeks, finds ; and to him who knocks, it will be opened. 11 “Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish ; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he? 12 “Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he? (Luke 11:9-12)
- “And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” (Matthew 21:22)
He desires that our love for Him and our relationship with Him will deepen and grow. When we truly pray, we pray with the wholeness of our character, relating to the wholeness of His character. What we think and feel about God will come out through in our prayers. This in turn, deepens our love and understanding of God, which in the end deepens our relationship with Him. This is something God delights in, and brings Him glory.
Finally, God wants us to pray because it allows to be a part of a story that is greater than our own. We have have eternal significance.