On Tuesday 01/18/11 I went to file my petition for divorce, and began to legally end my marriage after 15 years. It was not done easily or in vain but through much trying, prayer, heartache & pain, tears, and finally acceptance by both my wife and I.
I made my way into the Travis County Courthouse, and headed to the Family Law court to file my initial paperwork. I had prayed that through Christ I would be strong during this time. I had to, I couldn’t allow myself to break in there. I sat there trying not to think about it as I waited my turn for a clerk to take me back and take my petition.
Here is where God began to orchestrate things. I was next in line, and when the clerk came there was some confusion between who was next so she took an attorney that came in right after me instead. I was in no hurry to do this, but right away another clerk comes and takes me back to her desk.
I sat there, and as she stamped, wrote, typed, and took my fee I slowly started to cry. I did my best to look away, and wipe the tears from my face. I prayed, and asked God for strength. If I could just make to the car before I broke down. I could only wipe the stream of tears that would continue to come until it was over.
Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” 29 And He said, “Come !” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” (Matthew 14:28-30)
AND THAT IS WHEN JESUS STEPPED INTO THE ROOM!
The clerk looked at me directly (I could see the cross jewelry she had on) and asked if I was OK. I said, “Yes”
Then she said, “God is good!”
I replied, “All the time…He is the only One that has gotten me through this.”
She said, ” That is the most important thing…I know it’s hard, I know it hurts, and I have been there, but you will get through this, and be OK”
I was floored! God Almighty had sent another one of His children, a sister in Christ to comfort me in my time of pain. When I was weak, He was strong. God’s hand in my life has been visible through the failure of my marriage. Since my wife and I separated in February of 2010, He has led me to North Village Church with an awesome church family that has been by my side through the valley’s and storms. People have prayed with me, and for me. They have provided encouragement during the storms.
- And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake ; for when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
Jesus knew we would encounter pain, and hardship in our life. But He also promised the Holy Spirit, our comforter, and that He would never leave us or forsake us. God has shown me in this season of my life how good He is. Frankly, I just don’t know how people that don’t know Jesus get through a divorce without further sin, and destruction.
- “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage ; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
- “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. 27 “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful. (John 14:26-27)
- 35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword ? 36 Just as it is written, “FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH ALL DAY WE WERE CONSIDERED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED.” 37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:35-39)
I know that God is working in my soon to be ex-wife’s life also, and have seen evidence of it. Especially, in that fact that we don’t hate each other and are respectful to each other. The divorce is not officially over yet. In about 61 days I will return to appear before a judge with my Final Decree, and with a few words, signatures, and stamps my marriage will be over for good. I know that it will be a tough day, but I know that Jesus will be right there by my side the whole way. And I will thank Him, and praise Him for God is good all the time!
- 14 “Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. 15 “He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble ; I will rescue him and honor him. (Psalm 91:14-15)