On July 14th I will be embarking on a 4-day trip to Joplin, Missouri with my church, North Village Church to help renew, restore and rebuild the community that was devastated by an EF-5 tornado on May 22.
North Village Church is going to partner with Soma Austin, who has facilitated a mission trip with Mystery Church and Journey Church, to send a team July 14-17. Mystery Church Pastor Steev Inge, has requested teams once emergency crews have left the city.
Thanks to outpourings of love, the citizens of Joplin have their basic needs met with copious amounts of food, water and clothes being donated. However, the community still needs help with clean up and reconstruction.
I am writing today to ask for support in these efforts. There are 4 ways you can help the community of Joplin:
1. Soma Austin wants to take rented/loaned construction equipment (i.e. bobcat, sledgehammers) with us on our trip to be most effective in our efforts to help clean up the city. If you have items or know of people who do and are willing to let us use them July 13th – 18th, please contact me. Otherwise, you can make a monetary donation Here.
- If you are paying by check, you can make the check out to Soma Austin Community Church and put “Joplin Relief” in the memo.
- If you are paying online, enter the donation amount and click “Review Donation and Continue” and then add a memo saying, “Joplin Relief “.
2. Mission Joplin was created to connect and coordinate the volunteer efforts of eager organizations who want to give to and serve the immense needs of the city of Joplin and its residents during this time of severe loss. Mission Joplin is committed to the long-term recovery efforts of Joplin through the consolidation and mobilization of a vast and willing pool of volunteers from around the country. We are seeking to network and partner with like-minded churches, agencies and willing organizations who want to assist in the restoring work of rebuilding a city through the meeting of people’s needs physically, spiritually, and relationally. You can donate to Mission Joplin Here.
3. In 42 days, the students of Joplin will be heading back to school. Many have lost homes and possessions. Many will be going to non-traditional or unfamiliar locations. Many still will be dealing with emotional stress or physical trauma. Soma is going to partner with and support Bright Futures Joplin in alleviating as much anxiety surrounding the first day of school as possible by providing each student with a backpack or duffel bag containing all of the supplies needed to start the year. You can go here to find out how to help as well!
4. Prayer. We understand that not everyone has resources to donate, but if you would please keep the community of Joplin in your prayers while they begin a long journey of rebuilding their lives. Also, please be praying for our safe travels as we go from Austin to Joplin.